Thursday, May 31, 2007

(Continue)

It is not a small issue.

I replied the email to its sender only, plus "CC" to Mxxxx Ixxxx. M.I. is the highest manager of OHNT at this site, and S.T.'s boss, was on the initial emails "To" list too.

"Who approved T.O.'s writing up this paper? I believe at least he needs the approval of Sxxxx Cxxxx :-). For an article of this scale, covers all D-O-G and future Super." Here S.C. is the highest boss on our client side at this location.

Continue. "In academic world, there are strict rules (if not law), on what you can write, even as a survey of the public domain, one has to extensively references :-).

Please take this seriously, worst scenario, may put persons in legal troubles :-)."

Click "send", it was 10:12am. Let me see how the reat of the team reacts to this "great" news. My office (shared with 5 others, none of them were working on the same D-O-G project as I) is at the west end of the building (with ocean view :-)!), most of my teammates have offices at the east end.

Barely entered one office which occupants are all D-O-Gers, one there told me: have you seen it? When we are working like crazy, those who hardly doing much work were doing this behind our backs. A client side developer there also joined: unbelievable! ... Obviously this person, although not the "congratulations" email receipient, already got the "great news". It is perfectly understandable - they are our clients, but in daily work, they are simply our teammates, we share work related knowledge, good news and bad news, frustration and happiness, ... together everyday. This email is project related, with no any phrase about "it is OHNT proprientary" or "confidential" or whatsoever.

This person continued: some sentences in the abstract is copied from our American Bulldog user manual too! Then showed me the overview section of that manual. These two guys were two of then three main software developers in that project, but the author was not.

Continue: We talked extensively with the tech writer, and collectively came up with the user manual. That's why I remember these sentences ......

The first person: it is not right, I am going to talk to S.T.. ... ---- Remember this name? The one who sent the email, and the manager for all D-O-G software engineers from OHNT.

S.T.'s office was the next door. No need to go there. Our discussions in raised (exciting? ) voices already lured this person at this door.

"It is not right. When we are working like crazy, behind our backs, this person used work time, as work load ......"

"You are not suppose to talk it with our clients! If you want to talk to me, follow me, we find some place to talk ...".

Then I said: you go first. I'll be the next.

Very strange. Someone wrote about our contract project, and the annoucement should be hide from the client too? I really want to find out who is behind of all happened.

Minutes later, S.T. and the engineer came back. Obviously, they did not resolve their disagreement. "You want to tlak to me too? come ...". I followed S.T. to a small conference room.

"Who gave T.O. the right to write this tech paper?"

"M.I. gave the approval."

"So you knew it too?" "Yes."

"Why not all of the team? What about our client side?" " They do not need to know. It is for OH journal. As your line manager, I warn you that you are not suppose to talk it with our client - I heard you and xxxx were talking with them.... " "But it is about the whole team's work, and we are just contractors! Have you seen the email I sent you? ..." "Yes. But M.I. approved it." "That does not make it right." "M.I......"

No need to waste more time: this is a manager who would not talk about law or ethics. What you can hear from this person would forever be M.I. said this, M.I. said that ......

No comments: